Wednesday, February 11, 2015

happiness.

Haiti is the poorest country in the western hemisphere.

More then half of the population live below the poverty line. Only half of the Haitians can read and write. Knowing these two things, a person would expect to see sad people everywhere. You know, like those commercials on TV with depressing music playing and the children are just skin and bones. 

Well, I did see a lot of that....Too much to handle honestly.

But I also saw true joy.

What is that exactly? These people have nothing yet they are genuinely content with their lives. I've even talked to some Haitians who said they wouldn't want to live in America because there are too many distractions. Crazy, huh? 

"Happiness can never be found in the happenings of this world but in God."



Being truly happy shouldn't be based on materialistic things or another person. I know. So easy to say then actually living out. I like brands, food, shopping, etc... I've had my ups and downs with those that I care about hurting me.

But one thing I do (at some point), is allow myself to be sad for a certain period of time then I tell myself to stop. I talk to God and trust that His peace will give me comfort. And it always does, regardless if the problem is fixed or not.

There is no such thing as a perfect life. But in the hard times, it's important to remember that not every day is promised.

So on those bad days... It's okay to be sad, mad or whatever. Just don't let it last longer then it should. Sometimes it takes forcing ourselves to not think about it. Like staying busy, going to church, hanging out with family and friends, etc.

In my eyes, the people of Haiti are perfect examples of how to be thankful for what they have... And aren't dependent on their possessions or others around them.

No person or thing should have control over our happiness. It's so important to have true delight in life, no matter what is thrown in the way.

12 comments:

  1. You prove such a great point here. It sounds like you really have a passion for helping others. Can't wait to keep up to date with what is coming next for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That just shows how you don't actually need all the luxuries we live with in our modern lifestyles to keep us happy. Really shows why people enjoy going camping and "escaping the world" every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just more proof that true happiness doesn't come from "stuff". Real joy is given by God and no man can take that away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a good point. Some would say they're happy because they don't know the things they're missing, but it seems a lot are happy despite knowing what all they don't have. That's pure joy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true! I went to the Dominican Republic last spring break and while I was walking around some college campuses I noticed the joy everyone had with their friends. I even asked one guy if he had considered leaving the DR for a "better place" like the US he laughed at me and said no. I was taken off guard but he pointed to the ocean and said, "How can you leave something that beautiful? I wake up to it everyday." I just nodded and agreed. They just seemed at peace and that's something I envy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post. All we need in this life is God. HE is the only one who can truly satisfy our every need. In america we do have so many distractions and it is easy to lose focus on Him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been to "third world countries" as well on mission trips and what you are saying is so true! I was AMAZED at how happy everyone was and how they chose to look past the things they don't have, and looked towards the things they do have. I think everyone should go to a country like Haiti at least once in their life, it's a humbling experience! Good stuff girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed reading your post! Great reminders of how thankful we ALL should be. I like how you put in a moral of story at the end. It shows the light at the end of the tunnel. Also, isn't funny how being able to show expression and live freely that we somehow find someway to complain about the little things? Versus children who can't read or write who truly find the meaning of happiness?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good points! It's good to know that there are some caring people like yourself, that have a passion for kids in countries like Haiti.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I freaking love this. I found its so interesting to travel to other countries and see how their lives really are. You can't get the real story just by watching the discovery channel, especially since most of those scenes are very little about the actual country. But your right they are so happy with so little and that is truly amazing

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is awesome. It's so awesome to see the joy that these kids have despite all the things that they don't have. You're right, Americans could definitely learn a lesson from these sweet kids.

    ReplyDelete